Is Team Viewer safe?
Trustradius has given Teamviewer 8.4 out 10 ratings.
That is a huge number and why not, an efficient tool that lets you function from any corner of the world without any hassle deserves to have a score like that.
TeamViewer doesn’t let you just operate from any location it also plays the role of assisting you in times of need such as resolving issues, working with other teams from different time zones, and more.
While Teamviewer is great in what it offers, there are still rounds of rumours stating that when it comes to safety, multiple users aren’t sure.
And that is exactly why this article has been created. In this article, we have covered multiple topics such as:
Table of Contents:
1 . What is the Teamviewer application all about?
2. How to set up Teamviewer on your desktop or other devices?
3. What are the safety measures incorporated by Teamviewer?
4. How to increase Teamviewer safety 2x more?
5. Trustradius Testimonials about Teamviewer
6. Our opinion on whether Teamviewer is safe or not
That’s a whole lot of information coming your way that can help you make the right decision whether to invest in such an application or not.
Secret tip: Teamviewer could be helpful in the current situation we all are facing.
Read along to find out why.
What is the Teamviewer application all about?
Teamviewer is an online collaboration tool that lets you have control over other computers. This application is best suited and created to function better while remotely. With the help of a great internet connection, you can access and control any desktop or laptop you use to conduct your work activities.
This application even works well with the use of a smartphone so no matter what happens, even if you’re traveling or stuck in a situation, your work and productivity aren’t stopped.
Interesting Read : Net Neutrality and your privacy
Let’s understand this better with a few examples:
Example 1 #:
There are many brands today that are working remotely. At times even you would like to work from the comfort of your home if you’re a brand that hasn’t started to work remotely yet, in such situations how are you going to keep with the work?
Say you have to set up the launch of a new product and there is a team working round the clock to get it down. You might be living in a different country and so are your team members too, so obviously the time zones are going to differ, then how can you continue the job and ensure that everything is completed on time?
Here is when Teamviewer comes to place.
You can easily conduct your work and let the other team members continue the work after you finish your shift. You could be ending your shift according to the time zone in your country but your other team members would be starting theirs according to their time zone. So once you’re done, your team member can continue what you left by taking control of your desktop and working.
When work is conducted in this manner it becomes easier to complete the work before the deadlines. Teamviewer can be considered a great tool to organize and manage remote working better.
We are all at home due to the COVID-19 situation and that means your brand is working remotely too. Installing Teamviewer here can be super beneficial for you. For instance, a few of your team members would be experiencing some technical issues with their system or are unable to conduct any task, at times like this, you can’t really reach out to them in person to cater to them right?
Interesting Read : Data Privacy Act is Long Dead Copy
Nor can you guide them over call because they might not be able to understand. Does that mean that work will be stopped?
No way, with Teamviewer it stands no chance of it. By taking control of their desktop, you can easily sort out the issue and get it started within minutes.
So, how can you start using this application?
How to setup Teamviewer on your desktop or other devices?
1 . Decide first which computer or device you need remote access from. Start to download the Teamviewer application on it.
2. Set up ‘Unattended Access’
3. Which computer or device you’ve chosen, set up a name and password for it
4. Now you set up Teamviewer on the device you want to use to access that computer or device you need remote access from (Step 1 device). Add that device to your partner list
5. In order to access that remote computer or device, select the device name you entered from your partner list and connect it.
6. You will be able to perform the actions. In case you want to move away from it, you can put Teamviewer to sleep and wake it up when you want to access it next.
You now know what Teamviwers is and how to get started and in what ways it can help you. The next big question is, how safe or rather is it a safe application?
What are the safety measures incorporated by Teamviewer?
When it comes to security, Teamviewer uses the best measure, AES 256 bit encryption which is considered to be a high standard of security being used. Apart from this, they also have other security options such as two-factor authentication, force password reset in times of suspicious activities being detected, and also whitelists trusted devices.
Also, if you want to enhance more security with Teamviewer, modifying its settings can help.
Let’s give you a view of how security in Teamviewer is managed or can be conducted.
How to increase Teamviewer safety 2x more?
1. Switch it off when not using it
If your work is completed with Teamviewer, switch it off. Don’t leave it in the background for running and certainly don’t let it switch on immediately when your system is on. To ensure that you are only switching on Teamviewer when you log in, ensure that in the ‘Remote control’ section, ‘Start Teamviewer with the system’ is unticked always.
2. Use strong passwords
When it comes to password creation ensure that it isn’t your name or your number or any other easy information. Hackers are smart and with growing technologies they become even smarter to crack into a system. Ensure that your password is difficult to break into. Use small letters and big letters, capital letters, numbers, and symbols for no one to guess it even.
Interesting Read : The Top 10 best browsers for privacy and security in 2020
3. Keep the application updated always
Do you know why applications get updated regularly? Because it enhances the application even better. Even if your application is not updated, hackers can still intervene without your knowledge. Set up reminders or alerts for your next update and ensure that it is updated frequently.
4. Use a VPN
Another way to enhance the way you use Teamviewer is to make use of a VPN along with it. A reliable VPN service can help you conduct your Teamviewer activities without anyone having to intervene. It will safeguard your activities and create a protective shield for no minute risks to even enter. You can’t break in a shielded VPN because the best ones are available in the market. Make use of them to stay protected always.
5. Make use of the two-factor authentication
The two-factor authentication which Teamviewer offers is another great way to enhance your security with the application. All you need to do is:
- Go to your profile which will be present in the top right-hand corner of the page
- Click on the ‘Edit profile’ option and head to the ‘General’ category
- Click the ‘Activate’ option which is next to the two-factor authentication option
6. Keep a check on trusted devices
Another precaution you can take to ensure that your Teamviewer is safe by keeping a closer look at the trusted devices you are engaging with. If you feel some devices are suspicious eliminate them immediately. All you need to do is:
- Click on your profile again
- Select ‘Edit profile’
- Choose ‘trusted devices’ from the list
- Whichever connection you feel you don’t know or is suspicious just press ‘X’ at the end
- Finally, delete that connection
7. Disable the ‘Easy access’ choice
If you have the ‘Easy access; option enabled, that would mean that you can connect to a Teamviewer account without the need for a password and that is not safe. Eliminate this from happening by heading to the ‘Remote control’ category and unticking the ‘Grant easy access’ section.
8. Conduct blacklisting and whitelisting tactics
This measure is required so that you can only grant access to the connection you trust. All you need to do is:
- Click on ‘Teamviewer’
- Select ‘Preferences’ and click on ‘Security’
- Click on the ‘Configure’ next to the ‘Black and Whitelist’ in the end
- You can then allow or deny access and even add and remove the IDs and partners with just one click
There are multiple users who have used this application and have experienced a better service with it.
Why don’t you take a look at their opinions on this application?
Trustradius Testimonials about Teamviewer
‘’It is used to support client workstations and home computers. We support a variety of non technical and less savvy users. This allows for easy remote access, but allows for peace of mind of each computer owner that their PC is both secure (thanks to the option of ad-hoc password access) as well as continual support to be able to make things right. TeamViewer is priced well and easy to use. It is also used as a VPN alternative for some users/systems.’’ Mike Narumiya, President and Principal at Klaxton IT Solutions
Now that we have all the information on our plate, it’s time to give our verdict.
Our opinion on – ‘Is Teamviewer safe?’
For us it’s a ‘Yes’ because this application has so many security measures which any user can conduct to keep it safer. Whether it’s their two-factor authentication or the setups for conducting various security measures, we believe that Teamviewer’s safety is enhanced well.
As we conclude…
Teamviewer is what your company requires and is needed during our current situation. In times when we have to stay at home to remain safe, this application ensures that every work issue can be resolved with such an easy application.
Why don’t we summarise what we have covered, shall we?
- We learned that Teamviewer can help you to access and control other computers no matter where your location is
- We learned that all you need to do is set up Teamviewer on the computer you want to access and also on the other device you want to use to access the computer. And you require a password.
- We learned that Teamviewer has a great security solution with AES 256 bit encryption, two-factor authentication, force password reset in times of suspicious activities being detected, and also whitelists trusted devices.
- To make Teamviewer more secure, we learned that we need to upgrade it often, enter strong passwords, use a reliable VPN and more
- We also saw other users opinion on the same and also disclosed our opinion where we were confident to say that yes Teamviewer is a safe application to use
So, when are you planning to get started with this application?